Get your mind out of the gutter people! What we mean is a DIY at home leave-your-face-feeling-amazing facial 🙂 The following is a simple way to pamper yourself when you’re actively avoiding human contact on a Friday night! We would also recommend a glass of red, scented candles and any chick flick.
What you need:
- Face wash/cleanser
- Exfoliating mask for your skin type (our pick: Freeman Feeling Beautiful Pineapple Facial Enzyme Mask)
- Clay mask for your skin type (our pick: Freeman Feeling Beautiful Avocado & Oatmeal Facial Clay Mask)
- Towel, hand or bath sized
- Small/med pot filled with water
- Headband (optional)
- Lip balm (optional)
- Candles (optional)
In a Nutshell:
You’ll need about 45 min – 1 hr for this facial and then another hour or so before you’ll feel comfortable showing your face to the world.
1) Wash face 2) Exfoliating Mask 3) Steam 4) Clay Mask 5) Moisturize 6) Touch face compulsively because it feels like a baby’s bottom
Totally optional, but we set the mood by lighting candles in the bathroom. It was relaxing and a little less harsh when looking at yourself in the mirror during the process!
1. Wash your face thoroughly with your normal cleanser to start with a clean palette. Pat dry.
2. Generously apply the exfoliating mask by gently rubbing in circular motions. Once you feel good about coverage, relax for 5-10 minutes while the mask works magic. [While you’re waiting put a small/med pot of water on the stove to boil.] Rinse with warm water. Pat dry.
3. The water should be boiling by now. Take it off the stove and set it down in a comfortable spot (we chose the coffee table). Ideally, you want to be able to sit down and lean over the pot with about 6-8″ between your face and the pot. Ok, ready? Place a towel over your head and lean over the pot to catch the steam as it rises. The goal is to trap the steam in this little tent/hood/whatever. Steam for 2 minutes, pull away and expose face to room air for a few seconds, repeat. Do this 4-5 times. If you’re face is dripping, you can gently pat it, but don’t dry it off completely.
4. Immediately apply the clay mask. Put on a decent amount– you shouldn’t be able to see your skin through the mask. Let it dry (about 15-20 min). Rinse with warm water. Pat dry.
5. Generously moisturize with your daily or nightly face lotion. Apply lip balm, they need some lovin’ too.
6. Don’t go anywhere for about an hour. You just did some serious work to your face so naturally it’s going to be a bit red and tingly. Take this moment to enjoy how amazingly soft your skin feels. This DIY facial treatment is safe to do 2x/week.
Try it out friends and let us know what you think! This way when you go out on Saturday night your skin will look amazeballs and you won’t feel so bad that you were home on Friday crying into your wine glass watching The Notebook, because it was totally worth it.
Buongiorno! Lauren & Irina xo