In honor of Earth Day here are 10 interesting facts about our planet, the species that live on it and nature!
1. Earth isn’t round. Centrifugal (big word) force pushes outwards at Earth’s equator giving it a slight wasteline. it also weighs 6,588,000,000,000,000,000 tons. You curvy girl!
2. Coral Reefs are the largest living structures on planet Earth. They also contain the highest density of life, even more than rainforests!
3. 70% of the planet is covered in ocean but humans have only explored 5% of it. There is enough undissolved gold on the sea floor to put 9 pounds in every persons pocket on Earth!
4. Ya know how sometimes it just feels like there aren’t enough hours in the day? Give yourself a break! Technically, there are only 23 hours 56 minutes and 4 seconds. That’s how long it takes the planet to rotate on its axis.
5. The ‘Turritopsis Dohrnii’ is a type of jellyfish that is essentially immortal. It can transform itself from an adult back into a baby through a process known as ‘transdifferentiation’, in which one type of cell transforms into another. Fountain of youth anyone??
6. Lightning strikes the Earth 6,000 times every minute.
7. For every human there are 200 million insects.
8. Reptiles have been roaming the planet for about 340 million years.
9. The largest individual flower on Earth is from a plant called Rafflesia arnoldii. It’s flowers reach up to 3 feet in diameter and weigh around 22 pounds!
10. There are approximately 8.7 million (give or take 1.3 million) species on Earth today.
Let’s keep it that way! We try and do our part by donating 50% of all proceeds from every >>Wildlife Necklace<< purchase to the Wildlife Conservation Network!
Well guys, there ya have it. Take these facts and do with them as you please. Hopefully they help with your next Trivia Crack game or upcoming date. You can sound like a total genius, in the event the weight of Earth or the amount of gold at the bottom of the ocean happens to come up in conversation. In any case, Earth Day is about broadening and educating how important the environment is worldwide. Get with the times because like, it’s like cool to be a tree hugger these days.
Until Next Time!